Here are a few end result stories about bible translation
These things happened while we were there!
• A friend gave a Chadian Arabic New Testament to the imam at the mosque right next to his house. When he returned home after a trip, he saw the imam sitting outside the mosque, reading the NT to two other men. One of them then asked to buy a copy.
• A Muslim in the Guera region, blinded in a military accident, woke up in the night with a vision of Christ, in shining white, who told him to follow him. He believed: “Since you came to me, I will now follow you.” He woke his wife up and told her what happened and she said, “I will follow Jesus with you.” The Lord directed the man to go to another village and it turned out to be a place where an evangelist from our church is based. He explained the Good News further to the new believer, who then said, “Even if my relatives cut my head off, I believe. And I will follow Jesus.”
• In the capital, a young Muslim man called Preacher had a dream one night and was directed by Jesus to go to a certain church and speak to a man there. It turned out to be the church pastored by a Chadian man who formerly worked as a Bible translator. The young Preacher professed his faith and is now living up to his name! He declared to 22 male relatives (who had gathered to threaten him) that they could kill him now since he would go to Jesus. Miraculously, a policeman happened along and intervened and the man was able to go free. He is now living with Christians. Though disowned by his family, he is growing in his faith and in a new “family” while studying the Bible. He came recently to our translation office to get a Chadian Arabic NT.
• A friend in Eastern Chad has sold over 5,000 SD cards holding the Chadian Arabic audio NT: “I sell over a hundred each day!…A fellow worker has seen buyers sitting alone, listening to the Bible…My friend came over, listening to the Bible on his earbuds…I asked [him] why the SD cards were so popular. He replied that only one in a hundred people in our region can read, but almost everyone can listen…and it’s in a language they understand well.”
• Pastor D came to visit me while in town in February from the Guera region. He recounted how he had given out and sold boxes of NTs to area Muslims. “I should get the Nobel Prize for NT distribution!” he joked.
Prime Minister of Chad welcomes New Testament
In the East of Chad readers of all levels meet regularly to practice reading aloud through the NT in Chadian Arabic. The reading circle is growing. Momentum is building for living and thinking differently as people hear the Word. http://worldwitness.org/new-testament-impact/
Pray that the Chadian Church will be impacted by the power of God’s Word in a language close to the hearts of many people. – See more at: http://www.wycliffe.net/Prayer/tabid/63/language/en-US/Default.aspx?country=CD#sthash.abHMQEC8.dpuf
Thanks for praying
Jim and Judy